Thursday, May 24, 2012

Getting Ready with some Tough Love!

Based on what I have seen from afar... and, for a few minutes up close... I am a Cubify Fan.

But, that does not mean that I am not going to make my Cube earn its keep.  It is going to have to perform well to earn my full respect.  So, I'm getting ready for its debut with a little bit of tough love in the form of a tortuous STL file designed to let the Cube show me its stuff.


Actually, I may have to modify the ST:L a bit before uploading it to Cubify.com because the love might be a little TOO tough.

It turned out that while I was making the above video I was also printing out the STL on my RepRap printer and it REALLY had a hard time with parts of the file.

RepRap: First the good news...

The RepRap printed out the vertically extruded triangle, the cylinder and the twisted star fairly well.  The Twisted star and cylinder were essentially flawless.  And, all but one corner edge on the vertical triangle printed better than expected.  The half sphere was surprisingly smooth and even.

RepRap: The Bad News...

The horizontal triangle was completely lost in support material.  I could not even find it.  Nor could either of the holes be identified.  The box was simply engulfed in support materials the point that the support could not be distinguished from the box itself.

This may be because I did not join the sphere, box and horizontally extruded triangle as one object.  I went back and did that and will reprint the STL tomorrow.

It could be that I simply went beyond reasonable in terms of wall thickness and blew poor Axon2's brains out.  We'll see.

But it does point out that I am no sissy when it comes to testing and evaluating.  In fact, as it turns out, I could be a bit of a bully based on my first result from my poor RapMan!

But, even if I end up easing up on a subsequent STL test file, I am keeping this one to run on the Cube.  Hmmmm... I wonder if that indicates I have a bit of a mean streak???  LOL!

Pictures and 10x-40x microscope images to follow when I do the final comparisons.


No comments:

Post a Comment